Monday, November 13, 2006

Veterans Day in S.A.

In this Year of Our Lord 2006 the holiday of Veterans Day (originally named "Armistice Day" after the ending of hostilities in Europe at the end of World War I), 11 November, falls on a Saturday. This good, because San Antonio has a very BIG Vets Day parade, and always conducts it on a Saturday. So, since 11 November falls on Saturday, the parade was on the REAL holiday!

But before I went to the parade, I took the bus out to the District Ten Fall Festival. This event was organized a few years back by District Ten Councilman "Chip" Haass. But this was the first year I had been able to attend. I'm really glad I went!

The Fall Festival was held near the intersection of Thousand Oaks and Nacogdoches Roads, in the parking lot of the Midnite Cowboy dance hall (no alcohol outside!), in sunny, but coolly windy weather. In fact the wind was so strong that exhibitors had to weigh down their tablecloths, signs and papers with rocks or whatver weights they could get their hands on! There was lots of information, good entertainment, free food -- and FUN!

Early on I noticed a young chicano who was nattily dressed in white pants, blue blazer, green shirt and green patterned necktie. I complimented him on his apparel -- and at once found out that he is Rey de los Santos, who is running for Dist. 10 Councilman. "Chip" Haass, who was dressed casually in an open-collar shirt and sweater-vest, cannot run for re-election. I jokingly told de los Santos that based on his great looks and great name ("King of the Saints" in Spanish) he had my vote!

Among the entertainment was a young lady who sang "I Can Only Imagine", a gospel song recorded by Mercy Me. The song has a beautiful message (about how one can only imagine the indescribably wonder of arriving in Heaven and actually meeting our Savior), and she sang it beautifully. The police and fire departments had several vehicles at the Fall Festival. My favorite was a 1953 bright red fire truck.

After thanking Councilman Haass, who not only is my Councilman but also my fraternity brother, in Lambda Chi Alpha, for the very informative as well as entertaining festival, I got back on the bus to get downtown for the Veterans Day Parade. Now, both Nashville and Clarksville, Tennessee, claim to have the largest Vets Day parades in the country. But I don't know; San Antonio's has GOT to BE in close competition for that title!

Main Plaza, or Plaza de las Islas, is where I prefer to view this particular parade. (I don't know why, I just like that spot.) So I set up there to enjoy the parade as it went by. This year all former POWs being honored were one right after another, standing in military vehicles. One of these was Alex Tovar, a World War II POW and father of my best S.A. friend, Joe. Speaking of which, as Alex, standing and dressed in a red vest of military vet style, and a necktie, passed by, I saw that sitting right behind him was Joe! Also, two of Joe's grandchildren were in the vehicle.

As usual, the parade included several high school marching bands and Junior ROTC units. Two bands that were absent were Lanier and Fox Tech. But this is understandable, because that very evening the two schools would meet on the football field, in the annual Chili Bowl. Both schools make a big deal of the season'ending game, and their bands are very prominent before and during the game. And Alamo Stadium is close to full of spectators. I believe the Chili Bowl is de facto Homecoming for both high schools, even tho' only ONE of the teams cam be the "home" team!

When I entered Alamo Stadium on the "home" side (i.e., the pressbox side) and started looking for a good seat, I was greeted by a sea of blue (& a little white). For Sidney Lanier High was "home" team this year. A few guys even came shirtless, their torsos and faces painted in blue and white. And I suspect that stores in S.A. that sell hair dye are out of blue! Ha, ha!

The Lanier Voks pretty much had a slight edge in dominating the field most of the game. After Tech scored a touchdown in the first quarter and didn't make the p.a.t., the Voks responded with two field goals, to tie the score at halftime. In the third quarter, Lanier scored a t.d. (with p.a.t.) and a field goal, to start the final quarter ahead 16-6. But alas! the Buffaloes came back to win the Chili Bowl '06, by a core of 26-16.

So, a sad ending to an otherwise gr-r-r-reat Vets Day. Oh, well. . . . next year???

No comments: