Monday, November 20, 2006

50 years of witness in S.A.'s hills

Back on 25 September I reported on the 107th anniversary of Mexican Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), one of the two Disciples congregations in which I hold membership. I mentioned that MCC (DC) is not only the oldest Spanish-speaking Disciples of Christ church in the nation, but is also the oldest Disciples church of ANY sort in this city!

During the summer of A.D. 2003, my other church, Alamo Heights Christian (Disciples), celebrated its golden anniversary (50th). Compared with its Westside sister congregation it's a "young 'un", right? Still, that 50th was a memorable observation in many ways. AND NOW, yesterday I participated in yet annother S.A. Disciples church's golden anniversary.

My association with Western Hills Christian Church (Disciples) goes back to the two years I was serving the Disciples of Christ church in nearby Devine (A.D. 1992-94). You see, Western Hills' pastor Harold Guess sponsored me on my pilgrim Walk to Emmaus, Men's #327, in October of '93. Shortly afterward, several of us from the Devine church attended an area-wide Disciples of Christ praise worship hosted at Western Hills. And since my arrival here in S.A. in '02 I had attended Western Hills a couple of times for various reasons. Each time I had felt very blessed to be in the church!

Hence, I felt compelled to share in the 50th celebration Sunday. As soon as I arrived at the church I inquired if Harold Guess was there. (He had moved to Austin in the late 1990s.) Indeed he was! In fact, he was to preach the sermon for the 50th anniversary worship.

Before Harold's sermon there were memorable moments, such as introductions of charter members, former pastors and two of the three Timothys (members of the church who had answered the call to ordained ministry). And two babies were dedicated by their parents; one was an adopted Chinese girl, precious to behold. Also, the most recent former pastor, Larry West, led us in the prayer time.

Brother Guess' message was terrific. If it was typical of his preaching, I can understand at least one reason why he was the longest-serving of Western Hills' six pastors, at 22 years. He sort of re-capped WH history, thru various anecdotal incidents. Some were humorous, some were deeply moving, I for one appreciated each of them. He ended each reminiscense with "God is good" (to which we replied "all the time")... I mean, all the time. . ." (reply "God is good"). See my posting of Tuesday, 10 October (one of several about Walk #1327), for some further observation about this slogan.

And dear reader, this I truly KNEW was the case for Western Hills Christian Church! This congregation hasn't had an easy history, yet there have been numerous outstanding moments during its fifty years. Such as, being recognized nationally as the fastest-growing Disciples of Christ church of it size category midway in Bro. Guess' pastoral service. The congregation has certainly flourished under his leadership as well as Bro. West and "Rusty" Wright. This last has only served the congregation a few months -- and is its third Timothy!

After the Lord's Supper, we all adjourned to the Runnels Building of the Western Hills church campus, for the Thanksgiving Dinner. This congregation certainly has something extra to be thankful for -- every year. You see, its founding date was 18 November A.D. 1956 -- just prior to Thanksgiving each year. And of course this being the 50th, I trust the thanks in each member's heart was extra strong. As was the thanks in this guest's heart. I may not have yet, and may never, call WHCC(DC) my home congregation, but I do thank our Lord for the many blessings it has given me! May He even more greatly bless these brothers and sisters in Christ thru the next 50 years, unless Christ returns before then!

No comments: