Friday, November 24, 2006

Acción de Gracias Thanks-giving in S.A.

Yesterday was the annual holiday of Thanksgiving Day in these United States. This is one of the most-observed, most-respected of all official US holidays. It's not commercialized, even tho' the day after (Friday) very much IS. Almost everything closes down (e.g., only a few restaurants, gas and convenient stores and emergency rooms stay open, and buses run on the least-service or Sunday schedule).

It's also a time for family gatherings for most folk. Dear reader, I trust that you got to spend the day, or part of it at least, with loved ones -- and that you took time to GIVE THANKS. As for me, I have no family closer than north of Austin. And yet I gave thanks to God for His many, many blessing to me.

One manner of giving thanks here in San Antonio is to attend the morning Interfaith Thanksgiving Service at San Fernando Cathedral. I first attended this two years ago. At first, when I read in the newspaper of how spiritual leaders from such diverse religions as Buddhist and Muslim would lead, I objected: "The Cathedral is a Christian place of worship! So why these other religions?" But the "wind" of God, his Holy Spirit, spoke to me: "Would not Jesus the Christ welcome ANYONE and EVERYONE into his house? Unconditionally?"

And so, I had gone then, and again today, to this service of Thanks-giving. And I felt very blessed. I always feel blessed whenever I consider the tremendous diversity of cultural heritage and spiritual expressions one observes here in San Antonio. (See my second posting, back at the beginning of this blogsite in March.) And this interfaith service certainly presents a variety of means for thanking the Almighty -- in song, music, readings, litanies and so forth!

One feature which fascinated me the first time, and again today, was the Native American (American Indian) expression. Today during the processional of the various leaders to the front of the Cathedral the indigenous participants slowly and reverently beat a drum while singing in their native tongue, to the tune of "Amazing Grace". (I trust that this WAS that favorite hymn in some native language or other.) Later there was native flute playing, and toward the end of the service the very loud beating of a drum. Perhaps it was just the acoustics of the building, but one got the impression that the drum being beaten was some ten feet in diameter by five feet deep. . . but after the service I observed that it was actually smaller than the big bass drum used by traditional marching bands!

An a capella men's chorus sang a couple of different times; they all dressed in dark slacks, brightly colored long-sleeved dress shirts and coordinating neckties. And pleasantly contrasting with the men was a quartet of brightly-clad women flamenco dancers. These colorful sights as well as the sounds of music and song encouraged one to give thanks at the least for God's giving us humans such creativity -- a reflection of our Creator!

After the service I went to the Convention Center for the annual Raul Jimenez Thanksgiving Dinner. Everybody receives a free Thanksgiving meal, and there is entertainment.

While I was finding a place at a table and sitting down, a conjunto band was warming up to perform on-stage. AS they got into their first, and very danceable, song, I asked aloud, "¿Bailamos?" ("shall we dance?" in Spanish), which elicited smiles and laughs from those seated around me.

Looking up I saw hanging from the cavernous Convention Center ceiling several balloons (or orbs) in the colors of VÍA, our bus company: maroonish purple, red, orange-yellow. The thousands of attendees and volunteers were also colorful -- and more diversified in their colors! Several Junior ROTC students among the volunteers were dressed in their green and black Class A uniforms, complete with blouse (i.e., suitcoat) and tie. After eating I went toward where the conjunto band had been playing, and saw several dancers on the floor. Most were my age or older, women dressed up as for church or a party, and Hispanic men in suits and ties, sometimes with a Stetson or other hat. One dancer sported an alpine-style fedora, white dress shirt, leather (or imitation leather) vest, colorful necktie and dark pants -- not exactly lederhosen, but close en'uf to the Deutsch apparel!

And so goes Thanksgiving Day here in S.A. I hope yours, dear reader, was likewise festive, colorful and pleasing to the ears. And that you gave thanks!

No comments: