Monday, December 10, 2007

Saturday "showtime"

This past Saturday I had several things in mind to do. Things didn't go quite as I planned -- they went better!

It began Friday nite, when I opened my mail. The newsletter from Alamo Heights Christian Church (Disciples) had a notice that there would be a memorial service for Ed Zink the next day at one. I had been told about Ed's passing away and the Saturday service at choir practice -- but hadn't written this down when I got home and had forgotten. Until I read the newsletter. It was one more thing to do, but one I very much wanted to do.

You see, my first Christmas as a San Antonio resident Ed, an elder emeritus at AHCC and one who faithfully attended Sunday worship (even while needing aid of a walker), invited me to spend Christmas (or Christmas Eve) at his home. His son Jeff, a "special" guy who lived with Ed and also a member of the church, was there, along with sister Deniece and a large dog. Ed loved dogs. The house, on an acreage north of Windcrest, an incorporated suburb in northeastern Bexar County, was a charming, older rural home. It had been a true delight to spend the day with the Zinks!

Before attending the memorial service I did errands, including checking my e-mail and doing brief Web surfing. At "Voices", a blog of my fraternity Lambda Chi Alpha, a regular contributor had posted about the significance of Thanksgiving for him personally. His was such good reading that I came to this, my blog site, and copied off my post about Thanksgiving '06 to contribute as a comment (or reply) at his "Voices" posting. I inserted a couple of phrases to make my words of a year ago more inclusive our our common Brotherhood -- for which I am always thankful!

After doing the blogging and other errands I returned home, quickly changed into a suit and tie (apparel I seldom wear on Saturdays) and took the bus to AHCC for the Ed Zink memorial service. Both his son and daughter were there (Ed had been buried in Ohio), as were several folk with whom he had worked years earlier in the geological engineering field and the oil industry. The service was nice and for the most part uplifting. still, my head leaked a little, as we listened to a poem about Ed which our Pastor read and written by a sister (who wrote poems about all family members!). It described a special kindness Ed had done for her during an illness. I'm glad I was at the memorial service, to give my respects to the memory of this brother in Christ who had done me the kindness of sharing his home and family during my first S.A. Christmas!

Then it was back to the efficiency, to change back out of the suit and tie and resume work on some agapé I was preparing for Men's Walk to Emmaus #1413. This was a Walk for which I had wanted to be on the team before the Lord pointed me in the direction of doing team work on Kairos Weekend #2 at Briscoe. However, this Walk featured David McNitzky as Spiritual Director (SD also on my Pilgrim Walk, #327), and would be the final Walk presented by Care Bexar before my Fourth Day Group goes inactive. So I yearned to go to Candlelight and contribute in other ways. While I made my agapé, I listened for the phone to ring with a call from Sharon, a former Lay Director for Care Bexar with whom I'd spoken earlier concerning getting a ride to Candlelight. I also took just a few minutes to phone other possible attendees for Candlelight -- only to find out that every one of them had other plans -- holiday season plans -- for the evening.

After I got the call from Sharon, and had discussed and then dropped the idea (her suggestion) of using VÍA bus routes to get across town to be picked up on the way to Kerrville, I got an unexpected call from Howard, a Pilgrim from Walk #1005 ,the first Walk on which I had served on a Team. He was going, too, and arranged to meet Sharon and me at my place.

Then I returned to hurriedly finishing the agapé, colored index cards with a packet of Splenda sweetener taped to the middle. Above the packet I wrote "A 'Walk to Emmaus' with Jesus is simply", and if one lifted the packet one read "Splenda" under it! That way, should a Pilgrim or Teamer wish to actually use the sweetener in their Sunday morning coffee, the agapé card would still make sense! Agapé often include such puns, and when I tho't up this one I considered it very good. Agapé, to refresh your memory, dear reader, is Greek for "unconditional love" -- the highest love, divine love -- and in Cursillo movements such as Emmaus and Kairos the word signifies deeds done or items given to express God's love for the retreat participants. I finished the cards just in time, as first Howard and then Sharon arrived!

Now consider: I'd invited Howard or given him permission to ride along with Sharon and me without asking her first. So I was nervous. But. . . God is good -- all the time! All the time -- God is good! The journey to and from Candlelight at Mt. Wesley was a wonderful time of conversation, and dining at a Mexican restaurant in Kerrville before arriving at the camp. When we arrived we saw that some of the camp's live oak trunks were decorated with those nets of Christmas lights that have become so popular. It was a beautiful and appropriate display of light!

And Candlelight itself was beautiful, delightful and a blessing! The numerous Emmaus community members present were treated to a fine Emmaus worship with a rousing sermon from one of our Emmaus clergy. When Team and Pilgrims of #1413 joined us, it truly seemed like we were in Heaven! I was delighted to see four Team fellows in total whom I knew, including not only David but also William Clarke (co-Team member onWalk #1327). It truly seemed that my head threatened to leak a good one! This Candlelight for the final Care Bexar-sponsored Walk was that special for yours truly!

So. . . whence the "showtime" in my title for this post? Well, honestly, most of the activities on this Saturday contained an element of entertainment, so in that general sense the title fits. But I give it the added significance that for all I experienced this day I needed to set aside time to SHOW some heartfelt thanks to Abba our celestial Daddy and God, for SHOWING his goodness -- all the time! And particularly on this Saturday of Saturdays!

And so, "Thanks, ABBA!" O en español -¡Muchísimas gracias, Papá celestial!

No comments: