Monday, December 31, 2007

Endings and beginnings '07 to '08

As the year draws to its end, and in a few hours we'll start the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Eight, or A.D. 2008, here are some musings about the year past, i.e., A.D. 2007.

It's been a "different" year, I suppose. . . heck, I don't "suppose", I know it!

How's it different, you may ask? Well, having a wedding in the family and thru this gaining a daughter-in-law -- THAT'S truly "different"! Regarding that, I took my FIRST trip out of the Lone Star State (see my post "My Summer Adventure, a Wedding, 27 June, about this) since daughter Sarah graduated from high school in Clarksville, Tennessee, in 2004. And even before son David wed Allison in June in Lincoln, Nebraska, "baby" brother Patrick gets assigned to renewed active duty Army service at Fort Sam Houston, here in San Antonio. His move here in February with wife LaRae FINALLY gives me family right smack here! Hooray!

Well, not so fast! Due to other Army influences on family, i.e., its deploying my (step-)nephew Zane to Iraq for his second tour there, the day after Christmas, again there was no family with whom to spend Christmas Eve or Day. For the seventh straight time! 'Nuf said about that sad situation. . . .

There were several "little" differences, mainly in certain aspects of recurring events. For example, having my brother and sister-in-law with whom to share birthdays (his and then mine, in March), the San Antonio Rodeo and Stock Show, a couple of Fiesta 2007 events, and the Missions games in quest of the '07 Texas League championship (which they won, see 17 September 2007 posting). I'd gotten used to taking in such delights solo, but I assure you that they're much more fun in the company of family!

One event not shared with family that was new to me was the Weinachtsfeier or German Christmas Party of the San Antonio Conservation Society (see 14 December post). Come to think of it, being a member of the Society was a difference, putting into reality something that should have been the case early on in my sojourn in S.A. I mean, me with my heart-felt love for history and culture and equally deep love for this city, I should have sought membership long before I did!

And then, there was my other "family", of Brothers in the Bond of Lambda Chi Alpha. Certainly participating in the historic first-ever tri-Zeta "White Rose Gala" with area LCA alumni and the three local chapters was VERY different! I'd never been to a shindig like this before, not even the "Crescent Girl Ball" of my own undergrad experience of the fraternity. The CG Ball was, after all, just us from the Idaho chapter plus a very few alumni. See my post of 14 April 2007 for details on the White Rose Gala.

Another difference involved my work at Fiesta Texas. After such a fun, fun, FUN summer of '06 working as Conductor and Depot Agent (Stationmaster) on the Fiesta Texas Railroad, work in the theme park in '07 was a real downer. The radical changes that Six Flags administration made regarding the train ride (abolishing our distinctive "railroad crew" uniforms and forcing everybody trained in this ride to also train on other rides and be ready to spend up to four hours in the hot sun without relief) drove away the older gentlemen -- all very experienced and wise about running the train as engineers and firemen, and all cherished co-workers of mine.

And the changes eventually drove me away, too. Only to find I'd gone from the frying pan into the fire! Working at the turnstiles into the park turned out to definitely NOT be for me! Thus, I ended up working three different positions in three different divisions of the park, instead of one (as in previous seasons).

Furthermore, even tho' I did get to see the "Lone Star Spectacular" laser and fireworks show several times (see 27 August post), I didn't really get to enjoy the re-named water park (not comprehending the significance of the mammal to Texans, new CEO Shapiro ordered that "Armadillo Beach" give way to "White Water Bay" -- "ho-hum!") or its wonderful wave pool Lone Star Lagoon, much if at all. And it seemed I was spending all my time at work, on the bus to & from, or sleeping in my efficiency. That is, not much time for other activities. Still. . . I did make that out-of-state trip on a long grey dog wearing a bus, to a wedding, as mentioned above!

And then there was "Holiday in the Park", the first "winter holidays" opening for Fiesta Texas since Six Flags took over the park. My Christmas Eve and Day may have been blue, but the remainder of the holiday season was full of the lights and songs in the park -- and indeed in the whole city -- which lifted my spirits!

And now, dear reader, may you have an uplifting and blessed A.D. 2008!

No comments: