Monday, March 19, 2007

Saint Pat's Day in the park

This past Saturday was of course Saint Patrick's Day. So as I got dressed the question was how to wear something green. You see, the uniform this year for everyone who works in Rides at Fiesta Texas theme park, including on the train, is tan pants and a blue polo shirt. The shirt does carry an embroidered "Six Flags Fiesta Texas" logo, and the logo's six flags include one light green one. But that flag is small and gets lost in the colors of the other flags and the overall yellow of the logo.

Therefore, I tucked my light green bandanna, which I'd worn last year as part of my train crew outfit, into my hip pocket, with plenty of it visible out of the pocket. And I stuck a green pen into the space below the lowest button of my polo shirt.

But I didn't have "the luck of the Irish". Well, unless I got it a day earlier; this I say because Friday the 16th was a very good day all around for me working at Fiesta Texas. Nevertheless, I was very, very tired when I got home, and apparently when the alarm sounded on Saturday I must have hit the "off" button rather than snooze. As a result I awoke with daylight coming in the window -- and at once knew that I would be late to work!

Guess what? Just like Thursday when I was late (due to the bus being stuck in the huge traffic jam) I got put on Kinderbahn, the kiddie truck convoy, in the heat of the day. Again I got heat exhaustion from being left there over an hour and again ended up in First Aid. This time the supervisor came in there and showed total lack of understanding, as he insisted that if I was going to have problems doing kiddie rides in the hot sun for over an hour (despite our goal of switching rides every hour), then I'd better just find some other place to work. "My way or the highway" is this supervisor's motto.

But again, just like Thursday, I went to lunch, and afterward got put on the train until it had to quit at seven. Then it was back to Kinderbahn. The sun was setting, and then was set, so I had no problems at this point. Except that occasionally on the kiddie rides I get to feeling that I'm one of those bohemian types that works traveling midway rides for circuses and county fairs! This is NOT exactly like last summer, when at one instance at the German depot I suddenly felt like I was moving out of being just a seasonal employee on a ride at an amusement park and was BECOMING a bona fide member of a bona fide railroad somewhere!

Oh, well! So be it, for now at least.

No comments: