Wednesday, March 07, 2007

L.C.A. in S.A.

When I moved to San Antonio in A.D. 2002, it was a move into new aspects of life in many ways. New job, new mode of transportation, new church, a new volunteer ministry (Kairos), etc. Yet at the same time I found myself getting re-acquainted with aspects of my earlier life with which I hadn't been connected for years. Re-connection with the Emmaus spiritual renewal program and with my undergraduate social fraternity are probably the most notable.

My fraternity, Lambda Chi Alpha, had its first alumni-sponsored San Antonio area Founders Day picnic last March, at O.P Schnabel Park near UTSA. That university has one of the three undergraduate chapters, or Zetas, here; the other two are St. Mary's University and University of the Incarnate Word. The get-together last year was terrific! Each of the three Zetas wore a distinctive tee shirt, which made their members stand out in the crowd of up to 200 who attended. These included several alumni from Zetas all over the country, plus a few wives and girlfriends. The food was abundant and delicious. But what topped it all was the presence of the Grand High Delta, Ed Leonard, representing all the officers of our HQ in Indianapolis. As I chatted with Brother Ed, who was a friendly, delightful person, little did I realize that I was conversing with our next Grand High Alpha (President)!

Well, as I mentioned in passing in my recent posting about sunsets, Lambda Chi Alpha held its Founders Day picnic last Saturday, and THIS year it was at Brackenridge Park. None of the high officers from Indianapolis were present this time, and there was a chill wind much of the time. Nevertheless, it was very enjoyable, almost as much so as last year. The pavilion we used stands next to the "Brackenridge Eagle", the park's miniature train ride. (It's miniature in that it's not a full scale railroad and cars; nevertheless it's large en'uf to ride on!) It was delightful to wave at the train and its passengers each time it choo-choo'ed past.

The High Alpha for the UTSA Zeta mentioned that the chapter was having a "formal Zeta" the coming Tuesday, and he invited me to attend it. This chapter meeting was "formal" in that the brothers were to wear suit and tie -- I remember these chapter meetings from when I was at Epsilon-Gamma Zeta of L.C.A. at the University of Idaho. (The UTSA chapter, BTW, is Phi-Upsilon Zeta.)

Therefore, last nite I rode the VÍA Express bus out to UTSA (it's near Fiesta Texas themepark) and found the meeting. It was even more fun than I had anticipated, to sit in a chapter meeting again! Not much has changed -- after all, we use Robert's Rules of Order. The High Kappa requested my help in selecting the best-dressed brother. Not all had worn suits, and a few hadn't even worn neckties, so they were ineligible. Then The High Kappa declared that if a brother wore white sox he also was ineligible. This led to the sitting down of a brother I had already decided was among the best-dressed, because he sported a black suit and shirt and a bright golden tie -- Vanderbilt University colors! WHITE sox with a black suit???

Well, of those who remained standing, the Kappa had me pick out the best-dressed three. These brothers left the room, and he had the remaining brothers vote on them. One of my selections didn't get even one vote, but the winner of the remaining two was the one I considered best, in his dark brown suit, white shirt and yellowish tie.

Oh, what fun to be with the brotherhood of Lambda Chi Alpha again! Even tho' I'm far beyond the drinking and partying and pranks that characterize collegiate students! As I reminded the members (following the dismissal of the associate members who had not yet been initiated), fraternity in Lambda Chi Alpha means much more important things than such things as partying. (I said THIS in San "Party City" Antonio???) It means living up to and living out in daily life the teachings and ideals of our Brotherhood, and learning to care deeply for the other brothers, who have shared in these same teachings and ideals. And because L.C.A. teachings and ideals are firmly founded upon Biblical truths -- emphasis on New Testament -- this means that we are striving to live out the very teachings of Jesus the Nazarene himself!

May the Lord bless the brotherhood of Lambda Chi Alpha,here in San Antonio and everywhere!

No comments: