Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Sacred Spaces

My sister Debbie, the seminarian, last year had shared how her school held some sort of seminar or program, about "Sacred Spaces" or places. Sometimes such locales are called "hallowed ground" or "holy ground". Very soon all San Antonio will focus on its most famous "hallowed ground". "Hallowed" because there on 6 March A.D. 1836 after being besieged thirteen days, over 180 men gave their lives so that their families and neighbors in Texas might be free. This "hallowed ground" is of course The Alamo.

As we remember that famous siege and sacrificial battle I shall share more about it as "hallowed" in that way. Right now I wish to assert that this famous old building (now surrounded by the skyscrapers of downtown S.A.) received its original hallowing -- became a "sacred space" -- over a century earlier. Long before it became a fortress known as "The Alamo" because of a military unit stationed there, this was Misión San Antonio de Valero. This mission station where Franciscan friars (Spanish frailes) preached the Good News to natives of the Coahuiltecan bands and taught them the ways of civilized Christian life, was the origin of what is now the eighth largest city of these United States. Valero served its spiritual purpose for many years before The Alamo served its few years of military purpose.

Thus, for two reasons -- the spiritual being the most important -- The Alamo would certainly be on my list of San Antonio locales which serve as "sacred spaces" for me. But I'd list several others first.

Allow me to begin with Misión San José y San Miguel de Aguayo. The "Queen of the Spanish Missions" has always radiated holiness for this unworthy disciple of the Nazarene. Just that it was founded by the great "Apostle of Texas", the Venerable Fray ("Blessed Friar" in English) Antonio Margil, would be reason en'uf for such hallowing in my spiritual heart. But also, I've been out to the old mission compound for so many events, both overtly spiritual happenings and subtly spiritual occasions.

I should include also at least two of the other missions: San Francisco de la Espada and Purísima Concepción de Acuña. At the first, which is still out "in the country" just as it was at the height of its service as mission station, I always get a strong sense of its original purpose and the life ways of that long-ago era. I haven't been to any worship (Mass) or other event at Espada, but I have been at Concepción when Los Inocentes was in Christian concert there. Los Inocentes is a musical group (quartet or quintet) associated with the Cathedral.

Which brings me to San Fernando Cathedral, often called the spiritual heart of San Antonio. Also its geographical heart, from the fact that settlers from the Canary Islands laid out their new villa ("town" or "community") by using the front doorstep of the yet-to-be-built church as the starting point for measurement. When I first became acquainted with the Cathedral in the early '80s I didn't think much of the building. After all, I was already enthralled with the antiquity of the old Spanish missions and the thrilling saga of their work to spread the light of the Gospel here. And San Fernando was dingy and drab by comparison, calling to my mind that such was what old cathedrals in Europe probably looked like.

However, when I moved here in A.D. 2002, the Archdiocese had a restoration and improvement project under way. When it was finished in a year or so San Fernando Cathedral had a bright, freshly cleaned exterior and a well-lit and rearranged interior. All the original Stations of the Cross, stained glass windows and statues of saints and Mary were still there, including the statue of King Saint Fernando, clad in medieval mail armor as well as his royal crown. (He is remembered for his holy life and for his successful battles to drive back the Moors during Spain's Reconquista.)

Joining these is a new retablo at the back of the church, in the remaining portion from colonial times. Dear reader, if you ever visit San Antonio -- or if you live here, the NEXT time you're downtown -- please DO NOT MISS this retablo! The most spiritually impressive work of Christian art I have ever laid eyes on, it features the crucified Christ in the middle (alas! with European facial features and long straight hair of tradition rather than the swarthy looks and short curly hair of a typical Jew of His time). And at the four corners around El Crucificado are the Evangelists (writers of the Gospels) as life-size men in richly colorful robes each accompanied by his traditional symbol (e.g., Mark has his lion head beside him). Just looking upon the retablo puts me in a worshipful mood and by itself makes the Cathedral a sacred place! It's truly my "second spiritual home" in this city!

My FIRST spiritual home, and thus the most sacred place in San Antonio for me, remains the two Disciples of Christ churches between which I split my worship times. Mexican Christian Church on the Westside is housed in a building that resembles an old mission, albeit more in the style of the California and Arizona missions. The roof-ceiling of the sanctuary is held up by rafters of dark wood decoratively carved and lightly accented with paint. It's beautiful! High above the communion table is a bas-relief of an open book (the Bible) with the words Dios es amor ("God is love") -- all white accented with deep gold color.

The other church, the first one I joined upon my arrival is Alamo Heights Christian Church. Having been build in the 1950s it reflects the prevailing contemporary style. I don't generally like '50s contemporary in architecture, but something about the proportions and colors of the sanctuary of AHCC(DC) does appeal to me. And then there's the "Prayer Chapel", off over there by the church office. This small room (the pews would seat no more than 40 or 50) shows a more traditional style. The focal point is the western wall (opposite the door), where stained glass windows in which red and golden yellow dominate flank a fireplace-like feature. This Prayer Chapel has a home-like, intimate atmosphere that brings out the worship in me. For such a beautiful and sacred spot to be so little used is truly a crime! This is probably THE MOST SACRED place in San Antonio for me. (Leave aside that the church technically is within the city limits of Alamo Hts.; S.A. is just across North New Braunfels Avenue!)

Other places here likewise are "sacred spaces" for me. Were I to choose church membership solely on the beauty of the church building, I'd be in Laurel Heights UMC. The building is a gorgeous example of English (Tudor) Gothic, complete with dark wood features in the sanctuary (which sports an equally lovely pipe organ). My first attendance at a Care Bexar Emmaus monthly gathering was there! And then there's Western Hills Christian Church. Were I residing on that side of town (it's northwest of the medical center district, up in the Hill Country spread of the Alamo City) WHCC(DC) would most likely be my church home. Its attractiveness and sacredness derive at least in part from the fact that I had been there, along with others from my church in Devine, back in 1994 for an area praise and worship event. Like AHCC(DC) it's contemporary architecture, and yet again like AHCC(DC) it still manages to appeal to me -- and to my sense of the sacred, I suppose.

Even two parks, Brackenridge and San Pedro Springs, serve as sacred spaces. The former is where I took walks during my initial weeks here, and the spiritual and mental healing commenced. The latter, the second-oldest public space in these United States after Boston Common, is probably where or very close to where la misión and its protecting presidio ("fort") were first founded in A.D. 1718.

No comments: