Monday, February 26, 2007

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. . .

Or this could be "back at the old quarry. . ." or "back at the park. . . ."

Saturday, a beautiful day weather-wise, was a training day at Fiesta Texas. The theme park (or amusement park) where I've worked for the past three summers is inside an old quarry way out to the north-northwest of San Antonio. (Hence, the first quoted phrase above.) Six Flags requires everyone, no matter how many seasons they've worked at a park, to do orientation and re-training each year. And this time re-training was very necessary.

You see, there had been numerous changes to procedures, to the uniform etc. One of these changes came last October (during the park's "Fright Fest") I found out, and essentially broke up the train crew. The break-up apparently is going to continue this year, even tho' the new Lead, Jose, assured us vet train crew members who showed up today, that he will put us on the train for the most part during our work hours. What's bad about this is that the train is unlike any other ride in the park: operators MUST ride the ride to run it, and it doesn't involve merely pushing one of two or three buttons to start or to stop. Therefore, it takes involved training and more experience than most other rides.

Nevertheless, I'm willing to consider operating a few other rides, specifically, Kinderbahn, the kiddie truck convoy (on which I was trained in the morning), Der Rollshcu-coaster, the kiddie coaster, and perhaps the Twister. What I DO NOT want anything to do with is Superman Krypton Coaster!

Why not Krypton Coaster? I hesitate to have any responsibility for the super-thrill rides like it or The Rattler. I know very well that they are SAFE, and chances of an accident or of riders getting injured (as long as they, too, follow the directions) are slim and none. But still. . . I just DO NOT want even "slim" chance of injury hanging over my head! (That's why the "kiddie rides" and the train are more my cup of tea.)

What I want to do THE MOST is to simply sit on the back seat of the train and speak to the rider-Guests as Conductor, or cover one or the other of the depots as Stationmaster. I'm a "people person" and those two positions are where I can SHINE for our Guests!

Ross, one of the train vets who showed up today, when he came back from lunch break was sporting the new polo shirt that is to be part of the uniform this year. On its back is printed "Please pick up trash. . . my family comes here, too!" We all agree that this is patronizing if not demeaning or downright offensive for our Guests to read. Let's hope the corporate management of Six Flags parks comes to its senses before the the '07 season is in full swing!

And then at Der Pilger Bahnhof or at Whistle Stop 39 on Fiesta Texas Railroad, you'll hear me cry, "All aboard!"

No comments: