Monday, December 11, 2006

AHHS Mules - to State Champs Game!

After I returned from Dilley and the Kairos Instructional Reunion Saturday, I simply stayed put in my efficiency. I could hardly wait 'til 7 PM, when the football Mules from Alamo Heights High would start playing a semifinal playoff game against Lamar Consolidated HS of the Houston area.

Please know, dear reader, that when San Antonio lost one of its two daily newspapers in the early 1990s, it lost the better one, The Light. And earlier in the week the Express-News gave another evidence that it is the lesser of the (former) two papers. In the Sports section their "Fearless Forecasters" picked Lamar Consolidated to beat Alamo Heights -- every one of the forecasters! I was furious, livid! Setting aside that I already am a confirmed fan of the teams from the high school at which I sub-teach, I prayed for the Mules to win -- just to spite those "foolish forecasters" and their utter lack of faith in the local team!

And spite the nay-sayers the Mules did! Alamo Heights led 21-0 at halftime. Later I learned that this was the first time Lamar Consolidated had even been behind in a game, and they didn't know how to handle being behind! The Lamar Mustangs attempted a comeback early in the second half, closing the AHHS lead to 21-14. But on its ensuing possession, the Mule team took the pigskin in for another td. Later Alamo Heights' talented football boys added another td, and another. Final score Lamar 14, Alamo Heights 42.

Put THAT in your pipes & smoke it, you E-N "Fearless Forecasters!"

AND NOW it's on to the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP in 4-A Division I! The AHHS Mules have NEVER competed in a state championship football game. May they win this one, Saturday in the Alamodome, by overcoming the Copperas Cove Bulldogs!

No comments: