Friday, October 13, 2006

Terrific Teachers, Awesome Students!

On Wednesday (yesterday) I had a sub-teaching assignment at Alamo Heights High School. It turned into one of the most delightful assignments I've had as a substitute teacher!

For one, the teacher was in her room when I entered; she was going to be on campus, but involved all day in another responsibility. I always appreciate it when I can speak directly with the teacher for whom I'm subbing. Ms. Banda quickly filled me in on what she was leaving me as far as lesson plans, students' class agenda, overhead transparencies, etc.

The classes were an English I (Freshman) class and the rest were English II. Ms. Banda had some rather interesting projects for both courses, and the students kept pretty busy doing their class work. The classroom is a south-facing second-story room, so it gets plenty of natural light, and Ms. Banda (according to the students) has never turned on the ceiling lights. Indeed, when I entered and before I realized she was still there, I automatically hit the "on" switch for those lights, which prompted complaints from students already in the room and a request for Ms. Banda as she was leaving to please turn them off. You see, she uses "mood lighting", soft light from lamps placed around the room. Cool!

The classes went fairly well. A couple of them were talkative during the opening minutes, while they were supposed to be doing individual work on a "Warm-up" and I was trying to take attendance. In both cases I quipped, "When Ms. Banda says 'Warm-up' she's not referring to your vocal cords!" And later in one of those classes a couple of boys got involved in throwing wads of paper. I remarked, "This isn't Lackland Air Force Base, so I don't want to see any flying objects! Okay?" And I didn't see any.

As one of the morning classes was leaving after the dismissal bell, one girl was left in the room, as she had an elaborate set of school supplies to get together to take with her. As she left we exchanged pleasantries. She said, "Have a nice day" or something similar. I replied, "I am! This school has terrific teachers and awesome students!"

Now, THAT reply was straight off the top of my head. But it was also from the depths of my heart. I truly enjoy sub-teaching at Alamo Heights High School. So, I MEANT what I said about the teachers and the students!

No comments: