Tuesday, October 10, 2006

#1327: more intensity, more fun

As I reviewed my post of yesterday that describes Walk to Emmaus #1327, I considered so many things about the Walk that I didn't get around to sharing on this blog. Of course, to share it ALL would take thousands of words, not to mention removing all element of surprise, as I explained at the end of yesterday's posting. Nevertheless, I simply HAVE to share a couple of further items, of a serious, intense nature or humorous.

One of the benefits of being clergy on a Walk is that there is an intense moment on the third day, when all laity on the Team leave the conference room. The Pilgrims have each been handed a bag with Agapé Letters ("love letters", so to speak -- see 9 October posting for "agapé"). Significant people in the life of each Pilgrim are contacted and requested to write affirmative letters to him about his Emmaus experience. His Sponsor is REQUIRED to write one, and his spouse, parents and church pastor are strongly urged to write also. If a Pilgrim appears to have received fewer than average letters, some of us Team members fill the gap by writing to him ourselves. The reason the clergy remain in the room is that Pilgrims can get very deeply affected by what they read and may need someone to talk to. Our one African-American Pilgrim was Ron Brown, whom everybody on the Walk called "Preacher" because it came out at "New Best Friend" that he was called to go into the ministry. Well, "Preacher" was the first Pilgrim I saw getting emotional over his "love letters". Not agitated emotional, just visibly moved, as to moistened eyes.

I mentioned Candlelight early in the posting yesterday, and that I had been to several, at places in addition to Mt. Wesley. Candlelight is an event during the Walk when Emmaus folk who aren't on the Team get involved directly with the Pilgrims (and Team) in a very special way. Most Emmaus folk will tell you that Candlelight was the most significant one thing of their Pilgrim Walk, that it was "like Heaven". For me, the Dying Moment and Closing were somewhat more significant, appreciated and "heavenly", but I do understand where my fellow Emmaus brothers & sisters are coming from. Actually, Candlelight for #1327 WAS more moving than I was expecting, because some people were there whom I hadn't expected! I'm not going to say more, lest I spoil the surprise for some future Pilgrim. But if you MUST know details and don't care about losing the surprise, e-mail me at valle4gris@yahoo.com.

Now, to the humorous. Mike Solano was Spiritual Director for #1327. Mike did an awesome job as SD! But Mike is definitely NOT some sober-sided clergy hidden away in some monastery. He has his humorous side! All during the Walk Mike was working on turning a stuffed macaw parrot into a stuffed rooster (the rooster with multi-colored tail feathers is a popular symbol for Emmaus and Cursillo). To make the coxcomb and the wattle, he used the feet of the macaw, then replaced these with clear plastic cups shaped like margarita glasses that he cut with scissors to resemble the clawed feet. There was some defect in the plastic that clouded these cups and made them look dirty. I overheard a piece of a conversation between Mike and someone else, about this defect. Mike explained that it was "burnt toe jam". Now, my friends, once in a great while I overhear or am told words that will make me fall out laughing -- laughing so hysterically that tears come to my eyes and a headache to the back of my head. This was one of those times! "Burnt toe jam!" Haw, haw, haw, haw. . . !

During the final team formation meeting, Andy Smith (see 25 September for more about him) did his Preview Talk. His was the "Obstacles to Grace" Talk and at one point he said, "God is good!" Now, I have been conditioned (particularly thru my work in prisons with Kairos Prison Ministry) to immediately respond "all the time!" and await the leader saying "all the time" to which everybody else responds "God is good!" So without thinking I blurted out the respose when Andy said, "God is good." After the meeting that day, Mike took me aside and cautioned me to NOT do that (I'd done it to another speaker also, during his or her Preview Talk) because it clearly distracted Andy (and the other speaker). Well, during his actual Talk (on this Walk), when Andy said, "God is good", my lips began to part to utter the conditioned response -- and the Spirit checked me just in time! Out of the corner of my eye I saw Mike to my right turn his head and look directly at me with a look of "I dare you, and see what happens if you do!" But it was with a smile on his face.

Thanks, Mike! And thanks, "breath" of God (a.k.a. Holy Spirit)!

De colores.

No comments: