Friday, September 22, 2006

Texas' national religion

Yeah, I know that these United States legally forbid government establishment of religion. Nevertheless, it's widely recognized both by native Texans and by "foreigners" (e.g Okies, Yankees, Brits, etc.) that Texas DOES effectively have a National Religion. (Oops, make that "State Religion".)

It's called "Friday night lights", that is, high school football. Some observers might append to these youthful gridiron gods the slightly older deities of the pigskin who are burnt orange Longhorns or maroon Aggies.

Yes, I'm writing this with tongue firmly in cheek. But make no mistake! 1) High school football IS serious business here in Texas (as is NCAA football). And 2) I too can get fairly serious about it. Hopefully, not to the level of religious devotion!

My own alma mater, Borah High School of Boise (Class of '72), had a splendid team, the Lions, who lost only one game in my three years there (Boise high schools were grades 10-12). The Borah Lions reigned (of course: the Lion IS King of Beasts/Mascots) at least four straight years as mythical Idaho football champ of the largest schools, and my senior year represented Idaho in Honolulu, where the Lions beat the best of Hawaii's football teams. And I've maintained interest in local h.s. football any place I've lived since. Thus, while I lived in Decatur, Texas (1979-'80) and then Devine, Texas ('92-'94), I enthusiastically supported the gridiron Eagles and the Warhorses, respectively. Therefore I was delighted to read in the Sports section of the newspaper early this week that the state-wide AP poll ranked Decatur #10 in 3-A schools and the Express-News' own poll of local schools (greater S.A./south-central Texas) ranked Devine #10 for all Sub-5A (Devine is also a 3-A level school). That same Sub-5A ranking had the Alamo Heights Mules at #2. AHHS is the high school where I sub-teach.

Allow me to advise you, dear reader, that the Texas state religion is somewhat stronger in small towns such as Devine and in distinctive "suburban" school districts (set-apart by obvious boundaries or unifying and unique characteristic, e.g. Alamo Hts.) than it is in metropolitan ISDs. Also, in these latter it's not just "Fri. nite" but also "Thu. nite-Sat. p.m." lights due to limited stadium facilities. Thus, the San Antonio ISD, where I used to also sub-teach, has eight high schools and two football/track-&-field stadiums. I still keep up with the high schools where I used to work, including the fortunes of their gridiron elevens. Notably the Sidney Lanier Voks ("Pride of the Westside"), the Thomas Edison Golden Bears, and the Thomas Jefferson Mustangs.

My favorite stadium in Bexar County is the SAISD's Alamo Stadium. The WPA of the Depression Era (1930s) built it, so it features solid construction and attractively classy looks. It overlooks downtown San Antonio from a hill to the north between the zoo-Brackenridge Park and the Trinity University campus. I also really like Alamo Heights' Orem Stadium and Harlandale ISD's Memorial Stadium near the old Spanish missions in southern S.A. At those two I can stand and watch a game from outside the fence, until ticket-takers leave the gates mid-way in the second half. Then I can enter and for no cost sit and enjoy the final quarter!

Well, I shall be at one or another of those temples of the Texas state religion some evening this weekend. I just haven't made up my mind WHICH game yet! It may just be highly-ranked 5-A Judson's stadium, because they are hosting another high-ranked 5-A team (Churchill H.S.), and I personally knew their head coach, Jim Rackley, when he was head coach at Southwest H.S. and attended my church in Devine. Now, let me tell you: having known him personally in the church/family setting (I was his house guest one night), and followed his coaching career since, I firmly believe that Jim Rackley is not just a terrific coach, but that he's probably THE BEST high school football coach in Texas! Which may just mean Jim's the best in the USA!

No comments: