Thursday, September 07, 2006

End-of-summer slouching continues. . .

In an earlier blog, I described how the Summer season seems to slouch toward its ending, since there are numerous ways to define the end of summer (in addition to the official calendar ending, which is the Fall Equnox on or near 21 September).

Well, the slouching of Summer's ending persists. Tomorrow will be my final day of work on the Fiesta Texas Railroad. Now, stictly speaking this situation should not signal the end of Summer, since I did a whole week of work on the train ride during Spring Break and then Saturdays to late May. And let's not forget that Spring Break was early in March, well before the equinox that officially signals the commencement of Spring!

Nevertheless, I consider work at Fiesta Texas to be my Summer job, in some manner or other. Certainly during the summer months this is my sole source of income. And as I've said in earlier blog postings, this Summer's work on the train has been FUN! Already I miss it -- and I still have that one day to go!

Oh, I've mentioned that San Antonio has been in a drought, and that August daily high temperatures have been at or above 99 F. Well, early this week we finally got some much-needed rain, and the "cold" front that bro't it snapped that trend toward triple-digit highs. Indeed, yesterday we didn't get into the 90s at all! Hooray!

One event that seemed to signal Summer's end, at least for us Fiesta Texas workers, was on the Sunday evening at the end of the park's being open all week long. It was a "Sock Hop" for all employees, in the Rockville or 1950s theme area. The dominant item in the Rockville area is Rockville High School, and altho' the "Sock Hop" was held outside & well away from that building, and the event didn't involve a true sock hop or any dancing at all -- still, one associates a sock hop with high school, since it was type of dance event popular in high schools of the '50s.

What WAS available for enjoyment during this event were a couple of games, at which I did lousy, three rides, none of which I could ride thanks to the earlier back injury on the Rattler and the VÍA bus, and karaoke, a great delight for me. Alas! this karaoke was limited to strictly Elvis Presley hits. As I scanned the list of hits we could sing to (which was far from exhaustive of Presley's output), I saw "In the Ghetto", which is my favorite of songs Elvis recorded. However, it's been years since I heard it (if I remember correctly, when I was in high school I had that song on a 45 rpm vinyl disk), and I wasn't sure but what it might go above my comfortable vocal range. So I chose "Return to Sender" I sang that one easily en'uf, but still didn't win the prize. Nevertheless, it was a fun evening, presenting one of a bunch of events I can consider as end-of-summer!

So. . . have a gre-r-r-reat Fall, y'all!

No comments: