Friday, August 25, 2006

Summer slouches toward terminus

This past week has been a different one in some ways. Instead of taking the bus to work at Fiesta Texas daily (or most days) I've worked a few days at my other job, as substitute teacher in the Alamo Heights ISD. And I've had "free time", to catch up on the many items that had been set aside during the busy summer weeks at the theme park.

That school classes are back in session and Fiesta Texas is now open only on weekends may SAY that summer's over. But the thermometer most assuredly isn't saying the same! The daily high remains what it's been all thru August: at or above 99 F! And the drought that has afflicted Texas for months (since '05) rages on. Not exactly comfy weather for the learning environment!

Last Friday, as I was leaving Fiesta Texas on the final work Friday of '06, two things were on my mind. One, I had survived a double shift with a bad back (which I had injured the day before on the VÍA bus arriving at the themepark's employee bus stop). And two, I was feeling a sort of "separation anxiety" that I wouldn't be working daily at the park any more (at least in '06) and for only three more Saturdays to boot.

Yup, it sure felt, in a sort of spiritual way, that summer was indeed at its sad end. But. . . this HEAT! ! !

Add to your consideration, that folk in these United States consider the Labor Day weekend to be the "official" or "informal" end of the summer season -- but nevertheless the calendar end of summer is the equinox, occurring on or around 21 September. So-o-o, exactly WHEN does the "dog days" season have its terminus? Eh? ? ?

Meanwhile, what is continuing on is this HEAT! ! !

No comments: