Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Help wanted!

Dear reader, if you are a Christian and a prayer warrior I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Last Friday I received my monthly paycheck from the school district, and because it also was the final Friday of classes I went out to celebrate. To choose a place to have my celebratory dinner I played "bus roulette". If bus number such-and-such arrives first I will go in that direction to that destination, but if another bus number shows up first, I go another direction to a different destination. By that means I ended up on San Antonio's famous Riverwalk, at the County Line Barbecue. Years ago I had eaten some fantastic beef ribs at another County Line, so I ordered such. And yes, they were as delicious as I remembered (I think the "secret's in the sauce" -seriously).

But, folks, they were BEEF ribs - THREE of the monsters! Truly, I should have take one or two home in a "doggie bag". But nope, I dived right in and munched, munched, munched until only the bones were left. Glutton! That's why I need help, if you're a prayer warrior! The Apostle Paul castigates certain "enemies of Christ" with tears, because they are ones "whose god is their belly" among other characteristics (Philippians 3:19, KJV). Ouch! I DO NOT WANT my belly to be my god! Nor do I want to be an enemy of Christ due to such! Pray for me! Seriously!

To end on a less serious note, I could say that I wasn't just celebrating the end of the school year and the arrival of a nice paycheck. I could say that I was celebrating, by way of anticipation, numerous athletic teams I support playing to victory that evening. In NBA playoff series Game Six, at Dallas, the San Antonio Spurs beat the Mavs, and in a game I listened to on the radio my beloved S.A. Missions beat Corpus Cristi at Nelson Wolff Stadium here. I also found out that baseball teams from two of my university alma maters (the third lacks varsity baseball now) had won: TCU and Vanderbilt. And the next morning my Dad phoned from Boise to inform me that my high school alma mater, Borah H.S. (Class of '72) had won the State Track & Field meet in both boys and girls track. I was manager for the Track team (then only boys) my senior year.

Alas! for S.A.'s pro teams the fortune didn't continue. Last nite (Monday) the Spurs lost at home in overtime to Dallas, to be eliminated from the NBA playoffs. And the Missions went into extra innings in Tulsa before falling in their Texas League game against the Drillers. Thank God I don't let sports be the end-all and be-all of my life, like some men do!

Now, if I could just keep my appetite from being the end-all & be-all! PRAY for me, please!

No comments: