Thursday, May 25, 2006

A Busy yet Blessed Day

Yesterday I posted a blog about the S.A. Spurs losing against the Dallas Mavs and being eliminated from the NBA playoffs. And since Monday I've overheard lots of casual talk all over the city, about the loss. But I try not to dwell on it (see my blog before THAT one.)

Beside, I was too busy yesterday and having too much fun to get vexed over a sports loss that's history. Yes, Wednesday was a very busy, and yet very blessed day! It began with Bible study over breakfast at Mama's Café, an eaterie on Nacogdoches Road not far from me where I've eaten a few times. Nice homey atmosphere, nice food, reasonable prices. And this Bible study, a new one to me that my eye doctor had recommended, was a true learning experience. Later I got in on the last part of a Bible study at my church on the Westside, Mexican Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). And it was another good learning experience (and it didn't hurt that MCC's weekly study is followed by lunch there at the church).

Between the two Bible studies I got to participate in a VÍA bus publicity event. It was called "I Ride the Bus" or "VIP" for Very Important Passenger. The PR director for VÍA was busy going around sticking round medallions saying such on everybody. And there WERE some VIPs in the original meaning of the acronym: VÍA Board Chair Tim Tuggey (who rides the bus regularly), some other Board members including my friend Leo López, a City Councilman, a County Commissioner, and County Judge (former S.A. Mayor) Nelson Wolff. Some of them spoke to the cameras regarding the importance of the public transit for economizing during the current increase of cost of gasoline. And then we all got on a regular bus, headed for the South Side. I intended to only go part way out on the line, then get off & catch a bus back to downtown. But the VIPs (original sense) had a similar idea, along with grabbing a breakfast taco between buses. And I was invited to join them! So, I got to have a taco and coffee along with Leo & the others in a typical charming taquería on South Flores Street!

In the afternoon I rode bus for awhile with Joe, a driver whom long I've esteemed as brother in Christ and who probably is my best friend here in the Alamo City. Later I attended a meeting to which I had been invited by e-mail (thanks to my volunteer work on VÍA's Citizen Advisory Council), about the OST100 Roadshow, hosted by the San Antonio Conservation Society. The Society, which began in the early 1900s as a group of ladies determined to halt the continuing ruination of the old Spanish missions and to preserve other historic edifices in the Alamo City, is a group I should have joined right after my arrival here. (After all, dues are only $20 annually.) The meeting began with mingling while munching on fresh-cut fruit and veggies, cookies, sandwiches and cheese, and sipping ice tea or wine.

Then, after a brief business meeting, including voting (by members only, of course) for board members, the Society turned the meeting over to the OST100 Roadshow. The Old Spanish Trail is an East Coast to West Coast highway route set up in the 1920s, across the coastal flats of the Gulf States and on across the Border States, connecting areas which had originally belonged to Spain's New World Empire. This OST was headquartered here. Efforts are under way to relocate the exact route of the OST highway in Texas and all eight states. (It ran approximately where the later US 80 and US 90 were set up nearer to mid-century; all these highways were superseded by IH Ten.) And then in a few years the Centennial of the OST will be celebrated all along its old route, including with a motorcade from St. Augustine, Florida (east terminus) to San Diego, California (west terminus). Sounds interesting to this longtime lover of history!

Upon leaving this OST100 Roadshow meeting I went to my other church, Alamo Heights Christian (Disciples), for choir practice. Choir practice is always a joy to yours truly, who loves to sing and especially in a choir or other singing group.

So-o-o, as you can read it was quite a busy day! And not "busy-at-work" either (actually, I had the day off from paid work, since Alamo Heights ISD schools are in final exams). Indeed a couple of the events were fo a party nature! Didn't I tell you that San Antonio is a city whose middle name is "party"? Speaking of which, the preacher at Mexican Christian on Mothers Day, began his sermon by remarking how San Antonio likes to party!

Oh! And I tho't I was the ONLY one who had noticed the "party animal" characteristic of this city!

No comments: