Monday, May 05, 2008

Area Church Assembly

The church denomination of my membership, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), might be said to have a "modified congregational" polity (church organization). The basic organizational unit is the local congregation, such as Alamo Heights CC(DC) or Mexican CC(DC). Equal to (and supposedly NOT greater in authority) are Regions and the General Church. The latter is mainly offices and ministries located in Indianapolis; Regions are co-equal with states, portions of states or 2 or 3 states. This Region, The Southwest, is so large and contains so many Disciples that it subdivides into Areas. We -- AHCC, MCC and myself -- are in the Bluebonnet Area of the Southwest Region.

The Bluebonnet Area extends from the Austin vicinity and the Hill Country thru Del Rio, Victoria and Corpus Christi to the lower Rio Grande border. The Bluebonnet Area Assembly for 2008 occurred Friday and Saturday (2 and 3 May), mainly in the Disciples Ministry Center. This facility was and still is home to Woodlawn CC (DC), a shrinking congregation. Spanish CC (DC), a rather new congregation for folk of Spanish surname -- Puerto Rican, Cuban, Mexican-American, etc. -- also uses the building.

The facility is roughly a rectangle enclosing un patio (a courtyard). The side paralleling Elmendorf Street (west) is the sanctuary. It features stained glass windows, each with a Christian symbol (similar to AHCC but more "structured") and a cathedral ceiling supported by dark wood trusses (similar to MCC). The Area offices occupy the Gramercy Street side (north), and a small chapel and offices for the two congregations the third side. The back side has Harris Hall, a long and comparatively narrow fellowship hall. The courtyard/el patio is charming, despite the contemporary-modern architecture that encloses it, as it has a well-kept lawn shaded by trees and banana plants.

Late Friday afternoon I entered the main door, on Gramercy next to the sanctuary. I verified my registration and with packet and name tag I crossed el patio to Harris Hall. Folk were already in line receiving their dinner plates, dished out by volunteers in the kitchen. I quickly saw Disciples of the Bluebonnet Area whom I knew, including from my two congregations, AHCC and MCC. After I sat down a gracious, middle-age Afro-American woman passed me, and I read her name as "Lois Hodrick". Immediately I considered that she was the mother of one of my roommates at Brite Divinity School. And "sho 'nuf" she sat down next to a gentleman whom I recognized as Clarence, my former roomie -- even after 30 years! Wow! talk about a reunion!

A much more recent former "roomie" was also there: Arlie Lammers of Kerrville and Kairos Prison Ministry. And these two are just the beginning of beloved faces whom I got to greet! One I knew I had seen but could not put a name with (and whom I didn't take opportunity with which to get reacquainted) sang in a beautiful tenor in the post-dinner worship service. As soon as he opened his mouth I remembered that he was Hermano David Figuerado, Pastor of a Hispanic Disciples congregation in Robstown (near Corpus Christi). He had graced the last anniversary observance of Mexican Christian Church with preaching and singing! And now he was gracing all attendees at the BBA Assembly with that magnificent tenor!

Saturday I returned in time for breakfast. At first this was merely donuts, coffee and a little fruit (think: watermelon chunks). But after awhile folk arrived with milk, orange juice, fruit, MORE donuts. . . and finally that South Texas dawn staple, the breakfast taco (courtesy Taco Cabana). After considering dressing up for this second and final day of the BBA Assembly, I chose instead to wear my Kairos polo shirt. Then I noticed at least half a dozen Brothers wearing suits and ties, including Arlie. Oh, well!

During this Saturday session of the Assembly, we had more Worship -- after breakfast and a closing one after lunch -- workshops on various church-related topics, and a quiet area for clergy (to meditate or just rest). This latter was upstairs above the fellowship hall, in the church library. After I helped for a little while to man the refreshment table en el patio (MCC was in charge of the table), I wandered in to the clergy area. No one else was there, so I looked around at the books. I was delighted to see a new book (new to me) by one of my favorite Christian authors: Max Lucado. The San Antonio pastor's title was "3:16, the most important number"; it was an in-depth inspirational reflection on the most-translated and best-known verse in the Bible, John 3:16. Good book!

Closing Worship was, among other things, a farewell to our Area Minister, Dr. John Callison. This Assembly is his final activity in this capacity, as he will immediately leave S.A. to re-enter the pastoral ministry at a Christian (Disciples) church north of Houston. So there were parting gifts and parting words -- all positive and appreciative -- for John. I myself made sure to one-on-one thank him for being the first friendly face I saw when I arrived in San Antonio in January of A.D. 2002. Back then he was very gracious, to return to the Greyhound depot after I was late arriving due to being bumped off my scheduled bus in Dallas. I wanted to be sure he understood my deep gratitude for his instrumental part in my arrival here!

And so, a good Assembly came to an end. As did a good area ministry! May our Lord bless both the Bluebonnet Area and its most recent former Area Minister now and in the future!

No comments: