Monday, April 28, 2008

Reflections on THE Party, '08 edition

It's Monday, the day following the final day of Fiesta 2008. Unlike some of my San Antonio neighbors, I don't have a hangover. What I DO have, as every year on post-Fiesta Monday, is a case of the blues. You see, every Fiesta seems to conclude too soon; at least one event that I truly want to go to but lacked the time. After all, we're talking well over 100 events which comprise the party-to-end-all-parties! (This counts each & every day of multi-day events; even not counting each day separately would probably still total over 50.)

However, in this Year of Our Lord 2008 I shall NOT sing with Willie Nelson: "Turn out the lights, the party's over. . . ." After all, as I've affirmed so many times in my years of residence here, San Antonio's middle name is "Party"! Folks, we've just one week to rest up & recover from Fiesta. This very next weekend will be time for Cinco de Mayo celebrating! Hey! workers at el Mercado might as well keep booths and stages in place and San Saba Street closed (the block passing thru Market Square, that is). After all, el Mercado is a major venue for Cinco de Mayo frolics! Soon also, the party called "Texas Folklife Festival" will take place. And so on. And on. And on. Talk about "good times never end"!

Before we move on to S.A.'s future parties, allow me to indulge one last backward gaze at Fiesta '08. Here are some reflection about the just-concluded Fiesta 2008, particularly its final weekend.

First of all, one concluding reflection on the Battle of Flowers Parade. While I was aboard the VÍA bus heading downtown to my accustomed "stake-out" spot to watch the parade, I was glad I wasn't using a POV ("Army-ese" for a privately-owned/operated car). Not only was traffic dreadful (as usual during Fiesta). Parking was more expensive. Lots near the parade origin point were exacting $15. A little further away the price went down to $12, then on St. Mary's Street near the San Antonio Museum of Art parking lowered to $10. Riders on my bus were remarking about these prices - and THEN we passed Central Catholic High School. Students there were waving signs advertising "Fiesta parking" for $8! I remarked (rather loudly, I admit), "Look! Yay, Catholics!"

I confess that I found myself at "Fiestas Fantasías" at Market Square (el Mercado) multiple times -- even more than once on Fiesta's opening weekend! Well. . . I like the heavily Mexican ambiente of the place and live performances of Mexican and Tex-Mex styles of music: conjunto, Latin rock, Tejano, mariachi. . . . But -- smile -- I almost longed to tell someone nearby, preferably a chicano, "I simply HATE Mexican-American music! It's so danceable, it gives me an insatiable urge to dance, and I have no one with whom to dance!" (More confession: at times I simply gave into the urge and discreetly danced solo.)

If I can't really, truly dance with my whole heart and body due to lack of a partner, I can certainly enjoy simply sitting and observing while lucky couples cut the rug. A most delightful episode happened on Saturday the 26th. Inside the Farmers Market building of Market Square a large central open area has a permanent platform, a stage for song & dance performances all thru the year -- often by children of all ages. In this case a boy and a girl age 7 or 8 took the stage. He was dressed in boots, jeans, Stetson and a reddish western-cut shirt; she wore a long skirt to match his shirt. And wow! could this young, young couple cut the rug! We were all (audience surrounding that stage) hollering encouragement and clapping our hands to the beat of "Jambalaya!"

I experienced more than one incident of what I shall call "camaraderie" (for lack of a better word). The State Motto since 1930 is "Friendship" -- supposedly "Texas" or "Tejas" was the Spaniards' rendition of a native, Caddo, word that meant "friends". And San Antonio is renown as a very friendly city! So during Fiesta my fellow citizens, and visitors, let down what little guard we may have. We're all friends the first time we meet! I remember one evening I found myself listening to the group performing on the stage under the raised interstate highway passing above the west edge of el Mercado. They sounded really good -- and danceable, too! -- and I commented on such to a couple standing beside me. (I cannot say that I said it to encourage these two to get out and cut the rug, but whether I did or not, they didn't, alas!)

Finally, allow me to remark about the honoring of the military that takes place during Fiesta. San Antonio is often labelled a "military city" or some other title that hi-lites the military presence here. So it's natural that the U.S. armed forces get honored and feted all during the ten-day party! Of course, Fiesta began in 1891 as a remebrance of the heroes of the battles of The Alamo and San Jacinto -- indeed, it always falls in April so that the 21st is included, and that's the anniversary of the San Jacinto victory that won Texas independence. So we have the "Official Opening Ceremony" in front of The Alamo, and a "Pilgrimage to The Alamo" on San Jacinto Day.

And on the final Sunday afternoon there is an "All-Veterans Salute" in Memorial Plaza in front of Municipal Auditorium. I was there this year, altho' I missed the opening minutes of it and the main speaker was already into his speech. Due to the strong, gusty wind one could hear him only with difficulty. And indeed, the emcee for the ceremony at one point had to walk back to the podium and hold down the speaker's papers! This was unfortuante, because what one could hear of the speech it was very inspirational. He was a retired General Brady, who earned the Medal of Honor in Vietnam. The Medcom Band from Fort Sam Houston provided music. They quietly played "Abide with Me" while attendees filed down the walkway to the Vietnam Memorial. This is a larger-than-lifesize statue of a soldier (a medic) squatting over a fallen comrade and gazing up in the skies -- as if either in prayer or in search of a 'copter. Several people laid flowers or wreaths or bourquets along the base of the memorial.

No comments: