Monday, March 24, 2008

Resurrection Day

Earlier postings of this month of March of A.D. 2008 related incidents connected with my birthday and those of my dad and brother.

Well, yesterday was ALSO my birthday! That one back on the Eve of the Ides of March was simply the day my Mom gave birth to me, in the US Military Academy hospital at West Point, New York. Yesterday was the Sunday when we Christians celebrate the greatest event of all history -- the Resurrection of Jesus the Christ! On Resurrection Day of A.D. 1969 toward the end of Worship in Red Rock Christian Church (Disciples) in Boise, Idaho, I responded to the Invitation arose from my seat and walked forward to state my faith in the Nazarene as the Christ, Son of God and my personal Savior! Or to put it otherwise, I was "born again" (or born from above) on Resurrection Day of 1969.

On this Resurrection Day of this Year of Our Lord (2008) I experienced tremendous celebration of the risen Savior -- all thru the day!

This commenced as usual with Sunrise Service at Alamo Heights Christian Church (Disciples). Due to the new earlier start of Daylight Saving Time this year the service actually began close to sunrise. But with the overcast sky we didn't have many sun rays visiting the lobby where the service is held. Nor shining upon the cross of rugged old wood, covered with chicken wire. When we go up to receive the Lord's Supper we place fresh flowers into the chicken wire, which thus converts the centerpiece into a floral cross! Very impressive!

When the service ended we adjourned downstairs to Kirtley Fellowship Hall for breakfast. Then during the following Sunday school hour the choir practiced the cantata "Jesus Is Alive" one final time. And then we sang it in the regular-time worship. It has five songs with brief narration before each. The final two are medleys (which gives eight song in part or in whole). The first I had difficulty singing the harmony, but on the second, "Come to the altar", the harmony came easily, and I really enjoyed singing it. The third song is "Via Dolorosa", which is mostly a very moving soprano solo, with a bit of choral inclusion. The "Cross Medley" of the fourth piece is Dottie Rambo's Behold the Lamb", the "Above All", then the refrain of "The Old Rugged Cross". Every time I practiced it and again when we sang it during the Worship I almost choked up on the refrain of "Above All".

. Crucified. Laid behind the stone.
. You and alone.
. Lie a rose, trampled on the ground,
. You took the fall and thought of me
. Above All!

And then there was the "grand finale" -- the title piece, "Jesus Is Alive". It's quite a triumphant celebration in song of the reality of the Resurrection to eternal life of our Savior. Just this past week I had listened to Dr. John MacArthur on "Grace to You" (aired on KDRY AM 1100) speak of the Resurrection from God's viewpoint, and what all the emptying of the tomb on the third day means for Christianity and the Gospel. If there were no resurrection of Jesus the Nazarene, then there really is no Christianity and no Good News! This is why the bodily Resurrection is so vehemently attacked. But those who seek to invalidate the Gospel by proving that Jesus didn't rise from the dead usually end up being converts to the very faith they set out to attack!

And so we sing, "Hallelujah! Jesus is alive! Death has lost the victory, and the grave has been denied. Jesus lives forever; He's alive!"

Later, in the evening of Resurrection Day, I rode the bus over to the Westside, where Mexican Christian Church, la Iglesia Cristiana Mexicana, held the final evening of a week-long tent revival, una campaña de carpa. Evangelist Jorge Marín conducts these tent revivals usually twice a year in the church yard beside Guadalupe Street. This time the revival "happened" to coicide with Holy Week. Great timing!

I myself felt led to participate this final revival evening, by testifying to the tremendous reality of the Resurrection, particularly as follow-up to the Nazarene's death by crucifixion -- the ransom for all who put their trust in His power to save! I also sang a couple of songs, including my favorite "cross song", which is "The Old Rugged Cross." It was a windy evening (and the tent had no side flaps, just a roof upheld by thin poles), yet by using weights I was able to keep my music open before me as I picked guitar and sang.

Another song I sang was "Un Día a la Vez", the Spanish version of "One Day at a Time". (I first heard the Spanish version right here in Mexican Christian Church, during my first visit here, and quickly grew to prefer la versión española to the English!) Later, two women independently sang the same song, using accompaniment CDs. I was strongly impressed by this "coincidence" of threefold singing of the same song! So after the third, I asked Hermano Marín if I could briefly witness. I informed those present that this threefold repetition of "Un Día a la Vez" was no mere happening. Rather, it was God calling us to faithfully seek His presence and guidance and power ONE day at a time, or each day of life!

Now dear reader, just this very day I came to the sharp realization that I needed His help un día a la vez. At the breakfast at AHCC (DC) in mid-morning I'd eaten two heaping platefuls to break my customary Maundy Thursday to Resurrection sunrise fast. TWO heaping platefuls! Then, after the second worship I had the gall to tahe the bus to Picante Grill and ahve Sunday dinner! Picante grill was the first Mexican restaurant that Patrick and LaRae tried out upon moving here. A few days ago Patrick had mentioned that they still preferred it above all others (except perhaps for one close to Fort Sam). I wanted to order an enchilada lunch plate (two enchiladas rather than the tree on a dinner), but the waitress said that due to it being a holiday lunch dishes weren't available. So I chose a taco salad. But I only ate less than half of it. I just sat there, looking at the remains. I had to assure my waitress, "Please do not think this is a reflection on the food; it's about the tastiest taco salad I've eaten. Rather, it's a reflection on my gluttony!"

Yes, let me be honest. I'm a glutton, and I need to do something about it. Pray for me, please. Thanks!

No comments: