Wednesday, August 01, 2007

In & Out of the Hospital

This time last week (Wed.) I was experiencing some symptoms that were cause for concern. I'd recovered from all-over body aches and mild fever of the day before. BUT now I saw that my right shin had a red rash all over -- varying intensities of red. And by mid-day the shin was also swelling!

Now, every time that right shin even feels a bit weird, I get nervous, because in early 2003 I had suffered a staph infection and blood clot there. And now it was looking just like back then! I sighed, "Here we go again!" as I rode the bus the the ER at the VA Hospital that Wed. afternoon. After a few hours' wait, I was seen by an ER physician, a Dr. Vu (a Vietnamese man?), who told me he would admit me to the hospital, and then sent me to Radiology for an ultrasound and X-rays.

Once I was in room #517 on Floor 5A, I got word that the X-rays indicated no clot. Thank God for that! And they got me on IV antibiotics immediately. After 24 hours (Thu. PM), I noticed no change in the looks of my shin. However, I was less likely to feel pain there when I'd stand up (before walking a few steps). I was seriously beginning to wonder if the IV was having any real effect, and for how many days I'd be in the VA Hospital -- and missing necessary days of work?

But not to worry! When I awoke Friday, I could see that the red rash was shrinking, and likewise the swelling. AND the sun came out for the first time in days! The windows of our room faced easterly, so upon finishing breakfast I walked over to a window and just stood there, relishing the feel of sun rays on me. I'm a witness: there IS such a thing as "solar therapy"!

I say "our room" because I was sharing room #517 with three other vets. It was good to share space with these fellows. I particularly appreciated the man next to me (I was in bed #23 and he in #24), Howard Wakefield. He's from Brackettville (about 100 miles west of San Antonio), is in his eighties and is a brother Christian and a brother Mason. So we had some great conversations. The other two occupants of 517 were a Mr. Ruiz, a quiet, elderly chicano, and Steve Brady, closer to my age, but always up and about the hospital corridors.

Release from the IV came by Friday evening (to be replaced by antibiotic pills), and from the VA Hospital came mid-day on Saturday. My brother Patrick and his wife LaRae came to get me and take me home. The care by the VA staff on 5A was excellent. Nevertheless, it was GOOD to be "free" and on the way to familiar places again. And especially to return to my necessary employment -- the rent HAS to be paid on time, ya know, dear reader!

1 comment:

Glen Alan Graham said...

A few days after my release from the VA Hospital I returned, to visit my former #517 roommates and see how they were progressing. Steve Brady had already been released, and Mr. Ruiz was to be released that day. Already I knew that Howard Wakefield was to be in the hospital 'til 2 Auguas, from our conversations and those with his doctors while we two were in adjacent beds.

Turned out that Howard had a couple of visitors already there by his bed. They were family or friends from his hometown of Brackettville. It ws delightful to speak with all three of them. And Howard was definitely cheerful despite still being in the hospital.

For my visit, which was only one of several errands I planned to do that day, I was wearing slacks and short-sleeve dress shirt and a necktie. At one point during the conversation, howard paused briefly, looked me over, and remarked, "Well! You cleaned up nice when you got out of here!"