Friday, May 25, 2007

The S.A. Conservation Society

This past Wednesday afternoon I attended a general meeting of the San Antonio Conservation Society. This group began in the early 1920s, when some high society ladies organized in order to prevent destruction of historic buildings of San Antonio. They lost their first battle (to preserve the old Market Building), but early entered into the fruitful effort to not only preserve the remains of the Mission San Jose compound but also to reconstruct it.

Being the lover of history and historical structures and locations that I am, for as long as I've known the story and mission of the S.A. Conservation Society (it also champions environmental issues, hence "Conservation" in the name), I've felt that I ought to become a member. But I held back, thinking it was "only" well-heeled upper-class ladies. However, last year I attended a Society meeting to which I'd been invited, and found out that it's diverse, and dues are low. So I applied for associate membership, was accepted and attended my orientation in February.

On Wednesday the meeting was held in the "River House" building (earlier an indoor private pool) behind the mansion of the historic Steves Homestead, a property owned and managed by the Conservation Society. Guest speaker was City Manager Cheryl Scully. She spoke about the progress and changes in city government since she arrived from Phoenix about a year ago.

The Conservation Society also held elections, in which associate members cannot vote. But even without the right to vote, I appreciated being at this meeting. One of the Board of Directors and elected to office in this election is Roberto Hinckson. After I had met him at the first Society meeting I attended, I chose him to be my sponsor for membership. He's a really nice fellow with a gentle and cheerful spirit, and always dresses sharply. At this meeting he was wearing tan slacks, a plaid shirt of white and two shades of blue, and a necktie that was solid light blue -- the dominant shade of blue of the shirt! He looked terrific.

I had seen Roberto and other members on Saturday morning the 19th, at Joske Pavilion in the local version of NY's Central Park, Brackenridge Park. There the S.A. Conservation Society was celebrating "Historic Preservation Month" thru various activities. These included a couple of re-enactors and a quick review of the history of the Joske family and this attractive pavilion. This had been a delightful event! I was just as glad to attend Saturday morning as I was to attend on Wednesday evening.

No comments: