Monday, July 31, 2006

Apricots, the juicy fruit!

Just this morning I was in the nearest H.E.B., the local grocery store (and more) chain that dominates San Antonio and the Hill Country. And as in previous years at the end of July, I was disappointed to find that the season for apricots is over. I declare! The apricot is the fruit with THE SHORTEST growing season!

That's disappointing because the apricot is my favorite fruit, above all. It's been my fave since I was a teenager and my family lived in a house in Boise with an apricot in the backyard. I loved to go out there in season and pick and eat an apricot right off that little tree.

Funny that I do not remember knowing back in those years how short the apricot season runs. And funny that I haven't noticed apricot trees here in South Texas. But then, I'm not sure I'd recognize an apricot tree without the ripe fruit hangin on it. And then again, perhaps this region is just too hot for growing apricots.

No comments: