Thursday, June 08, 2006

Democracy in action!

Having the day off, I attended this morning's session of the San Antonio City Council weekly meeting. Almost all the morning was taken up with a currently "hot" issue, that of the Mayor's proposal to redevelop historic Main Plaza (aka Plaza de las Islas). Today featured presentation of the final proposed plan for the square's redevelopment, which features permanently closing the two north-south streets, and the Council voting on it.

From the first that I heard about the proposal, as a member of VÍA's citizens council, I've opposed closure of ANY streets. My position has modified somewhat, as I received more info and watched VÍA develop their response to the plan. I didn't EVER oppose plans to improve the landscaping, seating, etc. Just closure of any streets.

But this morning I saw democracy in action, representative democracy. The vote did not go exactly as I wished, but I know our Council took all viewpoints and reasons into consideration.

I'm proud to live in this city. I'm proud of our city government and my neighbor citizens!

No comments: